About The GIAWARDS
The Ghana Integrity Initiative (GII) as part of efforts at promoting anti-corruption in public life instituted an integrity award titled the ‘Ghana Integrity Awards’ (GIAWARDS) in 2019. The inaugural GIAWARDS recognized the efforts of outstanding individuals and public sector institutions upholding personal and professional integrity and undertaking initiatives aimed at reducing corruption in Ghana within the award timelines. Five categories of awards were presented during the inaugural awards including; Policy & Administrative Reforms Category, Transparency & Social Accountability Category, Efficient Public Service Delivery Category, Effective Internal Control Enforcement Category and Integrity Personality of the Year
In 2021, the GIAWARDS was expanded to recognise private sector’s contribution to the fight against corruption. Specifically, private sector’s application of integrity standards and effective corruption prevention mechanisms within their ecosystems and the country as a whole. To this end, the GIAWARDS 2021 had the theme: “Promoting Integrity in doing business in Ghana, The Role of the Private Sector.”
It is important to note that, corruption risks are of major concern for private enterprises, whether they are confronted with demands for bribes, faced with competitors acting corruptly, or undermined by employees violating their codes of conduct. Therefore, responsible companies increasingly understand the need to adopt and implement clear anti-corruption policies and effective anti-corruption procedures. This is geared towards protecting their reputation, their shareholders, and the communities in which they operate.
The GIAWARDS 2021 was held at the Alisa Hotel North Ridge, Accra on December 9, 2021.
- To use awards as incentives to influence positive behaviour in Ghana
- To promote corporate ethics, policy and procedure, integrity standards and practices, general business practices and good corporate social responsibility
- To provide an emotional reward to individuals and organizations doing the "right things” with integrity
- To provide genuine incentives for public institutions and individuals to demonstrate their anti-corruption and integrity efforts
- To highlight positive actions/initiatives of public institutions and individuals against the corruption fight
- To institute good role models for the guidance of the rest of society